A comprehensive examination is the key to prevention and control of disease. Unless we know what is going on in your mouth, we cannot properly advise you on the best course of treatment.
This examination usually takes an hour and may include:
- Detailed medical and dental history. General health and dental health impact on one another.
- Digital radiography (x-rays) exposes you to much less radiation than regular x-rays and better still is instantaneous. Together with the intra-oral camera we can show you what's happening.
- Oral cancer examination. Early detection of any cancer or precancerous lesion is the key to successful treatment.
- Periodontal charting (for adults only). Periodontal disease (gum disease) is very common and often missed because there is no pain until the disease is advanced. Early detection means we can arrest the disease before too much damage is done.. Gums are just as important as the teeth!!!
- Saliva Testing. Saliva keeps your teeth from decaying and eroding (in addition to other things!). Dental erosion (or corrosion) is becoming a serious problem because of the increased consumption of soft drinks, fruit juice and sports drinks.
- Study models. Sometimes we need to look at models of your teeth out side of the mouth. We can look at the relationship of the teeth to one another and figure out what's going on!